This artwork is in the garden representing the United States in the International Peace Gardens.
This was the first garden to be dedicated in the International Peace Gardens; July 1, 1947. It is also the largest garden in the park and is known for its beautiful spread-eagle flower bed. The sculpture by Avard T. Fairbanks is symbolic of the hope that we can leave a more peaceful future to our children. Front inscription: “Our hope for the children.” Side inscriptions: “Peace on Earth” & “The dawn of a new era.” Flowering crab trees honor the Council of Women Past Presidents and many of the trees are dedicated to Mrs. Otto Wiesley, founder of the gardens.
Avard T. Fairbanks was a distinguished and prolific sculptor, anatomist, and educator of the 20th century. Possibly his most ubiquitous artistic contribution was the design of the ram symbol for Dodge, however, during his career Avard created more than one hundred public monuments depicting important characters and events in history. Avard has created multiple statues of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, and made a statue of Lycurgus, that led to his being knighted by King Paul of Greece. His works can be found all across the United States, including three sculptures in the United States Capitol, as well as in the state capitols of Utah and Wyoming.
Avard studied in New York, Italy, and France, and received his Doctorate in Anatomy from the University of Michigan, where his also taught as Professor of Sculpture. Avard served on the faculties of five American universities, and founded the College of Fine Arts at the University of Utah.